These versatile mushrooms may be served on a large kaiser roll, on a plate as an appetizer, or grilled and served as a main course with vegetables and a pasta salad. Use homemade or commercial pesto.
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 lb. crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups peeled, seeded and diced fresh tomatoes
- Stir together pesto and olive oil, and set aside. Scrape off black gills under mushroom caps, and discard. Spoon 2 tablespoons pesto mixture into each mush- room cap.
- Mix feta cheese with tomatoes, and divide evenly among mushrooms. Wrap each mushroom in plastic wrap, and chill.
- Set and light charcoal fire, if using, about 30 minutes before serving. Otherwise, heat gas grill at serving time. Cook mushrooms over medium heat on grill for 10 to 20 minutes, or until soft when pierced with knife. Remove from heat, and serve.
There are few things that go together as well as pesto, mushrooms and feta cheese—except pesto, mushrooms, feta cheese and Pinot Noir! Try this dish with a full-bodied, American Pinot, such as Steele Carneros Pinot Noir.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 350
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 50 mg
- Fat Content: 31 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 11 g
- Sodium Content: 680 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g