This recipe was created by Don Boles, the head of the catering department at CoolEatz in Menlo Park, Calif., for a vegan wedding reception.
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.), divided
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 12-oz. pkg. extra-firm smoked tofu, cut into 16 cubes
- 1/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbs. light brown sugar
- Combine orange juice, 2 Tbs. soy sauce, sesame oil, 1 tsp. garlic, and red pepper flakes. Let stand 15 minutes at room temperature. Fold in tofu, cover, and marinate 1 hour or overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Soak 16 wood skewers in cold water 1/2 hour. Preheat grill or oven broiler. If using broiler, coat broiler pan with cooking spray. Drain tofu, and thread on skewers. Place on broiler pan, if using. Broil or grill 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly browned on all sides, turning occasionally.
- Whisk together peanut butter, remaining 1 tsp. garlic, ginger, brown sugar, remaining soy sauce, and 1/3 cup warm water to make thick sauce. Serve skewers with dipping sauce.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 121
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 245 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g