Grilled sweet potatoes require close attention—but the results are worth it. Slice them too thick, and they won’t cook through; slice them too thin, and they’ll char quickly. So slice carefully, and keep an eye on the grill.
- 1 tsp. grated or minced lime zest
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- 2 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 3/8-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, white and tender green parts, sliced
- 3 Tbs. orange, mango or pineapple juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare medium-low charcoal fire, or preheat gas grill (or broiler).
- To make Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette: Combine lime zest, juice and vinegar in large bowl. Whisk in oil until completely blended. Stir in cilantro, garlic and salt.
- To make Sweet Potatoes: Add potato slices to vinaigrette, and let marinate a few minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer potato slices to grill. Turn occasionally, basting with remaining vinaigrette, and cook until tender when pierced with fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Return grilled potatoes to vinaigrette. Add red pepper, scallions, juice, salt and pepper; toss gently. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: SERVES 4
- Calories: 270
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 55 mg
- Sugar Content: 13 g