Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
In Indonesia, grilled tempeh skewers are sold as street food snacks. Here, we’ve added a sauce that uses the cooking liquid to bring out the exotic flavors of lemongrass and ginger even more.
- To make Satay Skewers: Place onion, lemongrass, ginger, and garlic in blender; pulse until finely chopped. Add coconut milk, chile sauce, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup water; pulse until combined. Transfer to medium saucepan.
- Bring coconut milk mixture and lime peel to a boil over medium heat. Add tempeh cubes, and stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and let tempeh cubes cool in liquid mixture.
- Remove tempeh cubes from liquid, and thread on to skewers. Strain liquid, and set aside. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- To make Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients with 1/4 cup water and reserved coconut milk mixture in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened.
- Brush Satay Skewers with sesame oil. Grill 5 to 6 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Serve with Dipping Sauce.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 232
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 92 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g