Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are actually smoked dried jalapeño chiles blended with herbs and vinegar. Sold at Hispanic markets, specialty foods stores and some supermarkets, these spicy chiles add a unique flavor to many dishes. The tofu kabobs can be grilled, with or without the skewers, on a lightly oiled vegetable grill rack to keep the kabobs intact and prevent the tofu or vegetables from falling through the grill onto the coals.
- 1 cup hot vegetarian "chicken" stock
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 1 chipotle en adobo, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbs. adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. granulated onion
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried cilantro
- 2 16-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu
- 3 medium-sized zucchini, cut into 1-inch circles
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, cut into vertical strips, 1-inch wide
- 1 medium-sized red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup pineapple cubes
- 6 ears corn on the cob, shucked
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed
- To make Chipotle Marinade: Combine stock, garlic, tamari, chipotle and adobo sauce in liquid measuring cup. Add onion, mustard and cilantro.
- To make Tofu Kabobs: Slice each block of tofu in half horizontally, and, in cross-hatch pattern, make two slices vertically and two slices horizontally for total of 36 tofu cubes. Place tofu in nonreactive 9x13-inch baking dish. Pour marinade over tofu, cover and refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours.
- Set and light fire using coals or mesquite about 30 minutes before cooking time. Soak bamboo skewers in hot water for 20 minutes.
- Alternating ingredients, thread tofu, vegetables and pineapple cubes on skewers, and set aside.
- Blanch corn, and set aside. Place kabobs over hot coals, and set corn and asparagus on grill. Turning carefully and basting vegetables and tofu often with marinade, cook about 15 minutes, or until done, taking care that vegetables don’t burn.
- Serving Size: 8 kabobs
- Calories: 279
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 334 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g