Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Almost any grilled vegetable works beautifully on pizza. Here’s a trio that can’t be beat: zucchini, peppers and tomatoes. Feel free to omit the cheese, but be sure to add more vegetables.
- Prepare pizza dough as directed. August ’00/p. 42
- While dough is rising, prepare grill, leaving one side unlit. Lightly brush zucchini, tomatoes and bell pepper with oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook on grill rack over hot side of grill until tender, turning once or twice. Zucchini and tomatoes will take a few minutes; the bell pepper should grill long enough for skin to char, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer zucchini and tomatoes to large plate. Put bell pepper in paper bag, seal and let stand 10 minutes. Cut zucchini into strips or chunks. Coarsely chop tomatoes. Core bell pepper, scrape off skin and cut into thick slices. Set grilled vegetables aside.
- Lightly oil 2 large baking sheets. Gently punch down dough, divide in half and knead each half into a ball. Place dough balls on lightly floured surface, cover with plastic wrap and let rest 8 minutes. Using rolling pin, roll each ball into 9-inch circle, about 1/4 inch (scant) thick. Transfer to prepared baking sheets and lightly brush entire surface with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- Carefully lift each dough circle off baking sheet and place on hot side of grill. Cook undisturbed 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, so bottom has a chance to set; top of dough will bubble.
- Using large spatula, flip dough over onto same hot side of grill and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Slide crusts to cooler area of grill. Evenly scatter grilled vegetables over crusts, then sprinkle with garlic and chopped basil. Sprinkle provolone and Parmesan cheese over top. Close grill and cook, periodically moving pizzas around to keep charring to a minimum, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer pizzas to cutting board, garnish with basil leaves if desired, then slice and serve.
- Serving Size Makes 8 slices
- Calories 233
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 11 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 691 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g