Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Tapenade is a condiment hailing from Provence. In its classic form, this thick paste is made from capers, anchovies, ripe olives, olive oil, lemon juice, seasonings and sometimes tuna. This delectable sandwich combination can be served on French baguette or slices of whole grain bread.
- Make tapenade: Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel and dice eggplant. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and place on paper towels to drain.
- In Dutch oven or large ovenproof skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Add garlic, fennel, remaining teaspoon salt, basil, oregano and thyme; cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Stir in eggplant and tomato paste. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Transfer to oven and bake, uncovered, 35 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Prepare hot charcoal fire or preheat gas grill to medium-high. Meanwhile, cut tempeh in half crosswise. Cut again in half lengthwise to yield four pieces. Steam tempeh over simmering water 20 minutes. In shallow bowl, combine lemon juice, tamari, mirin, garlic and cayenne. Add tempeh and let stand while you cook tapenade.
- Cut bell peppers in half and remove seeds and ribs. In small bowl, mix oil and vinegar. Place tempeh, peppers and mushrooms on grill, brush with oil and cook until golden brown on both sides. Alternatively, broil tempeh and vegetables, 5 to 10 minutes per side.
- Cut mushrooms into thick slices. Cut grilled bell pepper into 4 strips. Trim ends from baguette. Cut loaf in half lengthwise. Spread 5 to 6 tablespoons tapenade onto bottom half (reserve remaining tapenade for another use), top with tempeh, mushrooms, bell pepper and greens. Cover with top half of bread and cut into 4 equal pieces. Serve right away.
- Serving Size 4 servings
- Calories 339
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 1322 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g