Serve these individual soufflés unmolded, as shown, or in ramekins.
- 1 cup grits, plus extra for dusting
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 lb. steamed asparagus, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded aged Gouda cheese
- 3 large egg whites plus 1 large egg
- Tomato Coulis
- 2 tsp. garlic oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 15-oz. can diced Italian-style tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1. To make Soufflés: Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 6 8-oz. ramekins with cooking spray, and dust with grits.
2. Bring grits, milk and baking powder to a boil in pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook 8 minutes, whisking constantly. Cool 5 minutes, then stir in asparagus, cheeses and whole egg.
3. Beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into grits mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among prepared ramekins. Bake 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
4. To make Tomato Coulis: Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 6 minutes, or until soft. Add tomatoes and crushed red pepper, and simmer 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Purée in blender until smooth. Unmold soufflés and serve with Tomato Coulis and asparagus spears for garnish, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 277
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Cholesterol Content: 30 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 598 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g