Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Serve these individual soufflés unmolded, as shown, or in ramekins.
1. To make Soufflés: Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 6 8-oz. ramekins with cooking spray, and dust with grits.
2. Bring grits, milk and baking powder to a boil in pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook 8 minutes, whisking constantly. Cool 5 minutes, then stir in asparagus, cheeses and whole egg.
3. Beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into grits mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among prepared ramekins. Bake 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
4. To make Tomato Coulis: Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 6 minutes, or until soft. Add tomatoes and crushed red pepper, and simmer 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Purée in blender until smooth. Unmold soufflés and serve with Tomato Coulis and asparagus spears for garnish, if desired.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 277
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 598 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g