A pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter gives these hors d’oeuvres a harvest holiday feel. Try other shapes as well, but don’t use ones that have too many small edges or angles, which can make spreading the cheese topping difficult.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced into rounds
- 8 chives, cut into 2-inch pieces, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place garlic and oil in small baking dish or ramekin. Cover with foil, and bake 20 minutes, or until garlic is softened. Transfer to small bowl, and mash with chipotle. Mix in cream cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
2. Toast bread until crispy on both sides. Cut into decorative Halloween shapes, or use a 2-inch round cookie cutter to get 3 pieces per slice. Spread with cream cheese mixture; garnish each with radish slices and 2 crisscrossed chives.
- Serving Size: Makes 24 2-inch-diameter canapés
- Calories: 43
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 78 mg