- 1 cup unblanched hazelnuts
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped candied orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread hazelnuts in a shallow pan. Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Let nuts cool slightly, then rub off and discard most of the brown skins. Chop nuts finely and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- Line baking sheets with foil or wax paper. In medium bowl, combine egg whites, cream of tartar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Using electric mixer, beat at high speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in vanilla extract, hazelnuts and orange peel. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies feel firm when touched lightly, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove to wire racks and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: Makes 50 cookies
- Calories: 34
- Carbohydrate Content: 5 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 3 mg