Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread hazelnuts in a shallow pan. Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Let nuts cool slightly, then rub off and discard most of the brown skins. Chop nuts finely and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- Line baking sheets with foil or wax paper. In medium bowl, combine egg whites, cream of tartar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Using electric mixer, beat at high speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in vanilla extract, hazelnuts and orange peel. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies feel firm when touched lightly, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove to wire racks and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
- Serving Size Makes 50 cookies
- Calories 34
- Carbohydrate Content 5 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 3 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g