Judy Riley of Monterey, Calif., experimented with different grains to come up with a just-as-healthful alternative to steel-cut oats or oatmeal. "I love the texture as well as the taste of this combination, especially with the fruit, nuts, and coconut stirred in," Riley says.
- 1-cup servingServings
- 2/3 cup amaranth
- 1/2 cup millet
- 2 Tbs. raisins or dried cranberries
- 2 Tbs. chopped apple
- 2 Tbs. chopped walnuts, almonds, or sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbs. dried shredded coconut
- 2 Tbs. ground flaxseeds or flaxseed meal
- Agave nectar, optional
1. To make Cereal: Bring amaranth, millet, and 4 cups water to a boil in large saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 25 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed.
2. To serve, ladle 1 cup Cereal into bowl, and top with 1 tsp. each of Toppings. Sweeten to taste with agave nectar, if using.
- Serving Size: Makes 5 cups
- Calories: 221
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 8 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g