Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
If you like, the rich broth this recipe produces naturally can be made even thicker right in the pot. Just before youre ready to serve the stew, mash one or two of the potatoes against the cookers side,and blend them into the broth.
To enjoy pot roast with these vegetables, add chunks of seitan at any time during cooking. If you like Brussels sprouts, they make a colorful additionjust trim and halve 8 ounces of sprouts, and include them when you add the rest of the vegetables.
- Oil bottom of slow cooker with 1 tablespoon oil. Add shallots, carrots, potatoes, turnips and garlic, and toss to coat with oil.
- Add salt, pepper, stock, wine, tamari and herbs. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Do not stir.
- Cover slow cooker, and set on low; cook until all vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 hours.
STOVETOP METHOD: Heat all oil in 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven or other large pot over medium heat. Add all remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low. Cover pot, and cook, stirring contents occasionally, until all vegetables are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Calories 0
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g