Prepared angel food cakes from the supermarket bakery section are good items to have on hand for desserts. Before preparing this elaborate-looking recipe, freeze the cake completely. It slices easily with a serrated knife.
- 1 16-oz. angel food cake, frozen
- 1 10-oz. jar raspberry preserves
- 1/4 cup raspberry liqueur or orange juice
- 2 pints low-fat vanilla ice cream, softened, divided
- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen raspberries in syrup, thawed
- Cut cake into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cover bottom of 9-inch springform pan with slices, cutting one or two slices as necessary to fill in gaps.
- Combine raspberry preserves and liqueur in small saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes. Brush half of raspberry mixture over cake in pan. Spread 1 pint ice cream over cake, and smooth top. Arrange more cake slices over ice cream to cover completely. Spread remaining raspberry mixture over cake. Smooth remaining pint of ice cream over cake. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze overnight. (Can be prepared up to 3 days in advance up to this point.)
- Purée thawed raspberries and syrup in food processor until smooth. Strain into bowl.
- Run knife around sides of springform pan. Release sides from cake. Slice into wedges, and top with raspberry coulis.
- Serving Size: Serves 12
- Calories: 273
- Carbohydrate Content: 60 g
- Cholesterol Content: 3 mg
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 319 mg
- Sugar Content: 31 g