Scott Peacock explains that this salad is all about exploring the variations of summer-grown vegetables, especially the different heirloom tomatoes colors and flavors, including the cherry varieties. In the South, field peas include butter beansaka lima beansCrowder peas, black-eyed peas and pink-eyed peas. The Garlic Mayonnaise recipe makes about 1 3/4 cups, but you will use only about 1 tablespoon per serving, drizzled over the salad. You may make the mayonnaise up to 1 day ahead.
Heirloom Tomato-Field Pea Salad
- About 2 lb. heirloom tomatoes
- 2 cups shelled field peas, such as a mixture of butter beans, Crowder peas and black-eyed peas, blanched
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbs. torn fresh basil or small whole leaves
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil for garnish
- 1 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 3 Tbs. boiling water
- To make Heirloom Tomato-Field Pea Salad: Cut tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices and 1/2-inch wedges for variation, and cut or halve cherry and grape tomatoes. Put all cut-up tomatoes into a large bowl.
- Put blanched field peas into lightly salted water. Drain, and add to tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Add basil, and toss gently. Drizzle with olive oil, and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make Garlic Mayonnaise: Put vinegar, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and mustard into a bowl, and whisk until salt and mustard are dispersed. Add egg yolks, and beat until smooth. Add oil, drop by drop at first, and later in a slow, steady stream, whisking until oil is incorporated into an emulsion. Chop garlic, and rub it into a paste with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour boiling water over garlic paste, stir well and whisk into mayonnaise. Drizzle about 6 tablespoons Garlic Mayonnaise over salad, thinning with more hot water if needed.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 300
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 200 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g