Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
30 minutes or fewer
Suchitra Swift created this savory dish while playing around with ways to make crispy tofu. A lifelong vegetarian, she teaches first grade in Harlem, NY.
- Drain tofu, and cut into 6 slices.
- To make Herb Crust: Combine all ingredients except oil in shallow bowl.
- To make Mushroom Gravy: Sauté onion in olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add rosemary, mushrooms and pinch of salt. Add broth, and simmer until mushrooms are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in large skillet over high heat. Coat each tofu cutlet with Herb Crust. Set in oil, and fry 4 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat Gravy over high heat. Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water; whisk into gravy until thickened, then remove from heat.
- Spoon Mushroom Gravy over tofu cutlets, and serve.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 320
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 621 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g