One variation is to sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan cheese over the dough before baking.
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbs. olive oil
- Minced fresh rosemary, sage or basil
- In small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Set aside until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Mound flour on work surface. Make a well in center and pour yeast mixture, salt and 1 tablespoon oil into it. With your fingers, gradually incorporate flour into liquid until dough forms. If mixture is too dry to hold together, sprinkle a little additional water over dough and mix well.
- Knead dough until smooth, about 5 minutes. Place dough in oiled large bowl, turning to coat. Cover with kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Spray jelly-roll pan or cookie sheet with cooking spray. Punch dough down. Place dough in center of prepared pan and spread out evenly to cover pan, using your fingers to "dimple" surface. Brush remaining 3 tablespoons oil over dough. Sprinkle with herbs. Let rise in a warm place, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake until top is a light golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cut into slices to serve. (Can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Keep airtight at room temperature.)
- Serving Size: 12 slices
- Calories: 175
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 90 mg