Korean tchigaes are rich, satisfying stews. A staple of many Korean recipes, toenjang, or fermented soybean paste, is similar to Japanese misobut with a much earthier taste. Look for it at pan-Asian or Korean markets. If Korean radish, or mu, is not available, use Japanese daikon. Korean sweet green onions are larger than Western scallions, but if the Korean variety is not available, use scallions. Serve this stew with rice and a fresh salad.
- 3 cups water
- 6 Tbs. toenjang, or to taste
- 1 kelp strip, about 1 inch by 6 inches long, optional
- ¼ lb. pyogo or shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 lb. medium-firm bean curd, sliced into 1x1½x¼-inch pieces
- 1 lb. napa cabbage, cut into 1x1½-inch-long pieces
- 1 lb. sweet Korean radish or Japanese daikon, peeled and sliced into 1x1¼x¼-inch pieces
- ½ lb. summer squash, or hobak,sliced into 1x1½x¼-inch pieces
- 2 large Korean green onions or 4 scallions, white and pale green parts only, cut diagonally into ¼-inch-long pieces
- 1 hot green Korean pepper or jalapeño, seeded, deribbed and cut diagonally into ¼-inch-long pieces
- 1 hot red Korean pepper or ½ red bell pepper, seeded, deribbed and cut diagonally into ¼-inch-long pieces
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil
- Pour water in large deep skillet with domed cover. Add toenjang, and stir to dissolve. Add kelp, if using, mushrooms and garlic. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Place bean curd, cabbage, radish and squash in skillet in pinwheel pattern. Cover, bring to a boil and cook about 10 minutes.
- Place green onions and peppers evenly between other ingredients, and cover again. Cook for several seconds, or until green onions and peppers become fragrant and colors turn bright. Cook stew no longer than 15 minutes total. Drizzle sesame oil over ingredients just before removing from heat. Serve immediately.
This earthy Korean stew is full of wine-loving foods. While there are many red wines that match, go for a white wine such as Estancia Pinnacles Chardonnay for a summer refresher.
- Serving Size: Serves 4 to 6
- Calories: 160
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 690 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g