Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
With a taste reminiscent of stuffing, this is perfect for a holiday buffet. Layered eggplant adds a contrasting texture to the nuts and elevates this hearty casserole to an eye-popping entrée. Serve with cranberry sauce and gravy for a traditional experience.
- Preheat oven to broil. Brush eggplant slices with 2 Tbs. oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Place on baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and broil 5 to 7 minutes. Turn eggplant slices, and broil 5 minutes more, or until slices are tender and light brown. Set aside, and reduce oven to 350F.
- Cook rice according to package directions, and set aside. Meanwhile, heat remaining 4 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté cashews, onion and garlic in oil 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion is softened and browned. Chop one tomato, and add to skillet; cook 3 minutes more.
- Transfer cashew mixture to large bowl. Stir in cooked rice, breadcrumbs, broth, brewer’s yeast, basil, thyme and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Coat 9×13-inch oval baking dish with cooking spray. Line bottom of dish with half of broiled eggplant slices. Spoon in cashew mixture. Top with remaining eggplant slices. Slice remaining 2 tomatoes, and layer down center of casserole to form a broad, bright red stripe.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until top is browned and filling is hot. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 422
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 273 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g