Browning the vegetables before making the gravy stock is what sets this gravy rich sauce apart.
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover, and cook 1/2 hour, or until soft, stirring occasionally. Uncover pan, increase heat to medium and cook 7 to 10 minutes more, or until vegetables are browned and caramelized.
2. Add wine; simmer 2 to 3 minutes, or until 2/3 of liquid is evaporated. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, marjoram, thyme and 2 1/2 cups water. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Strain into large measuring cup, pressing on vegetables with spoon to release all liquid.
3. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, and cook 5 minutes, or until flour begins to turn golden. Whisk in vegetable liquid. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until gravy thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and serve with filled Cornucopias.
Recipe from the November 2005 issue of Vegetarian Times.
- Serving Size Makes about 2 cups
- Calories 29
- Carbohydrate Content 1 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 147 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g