A takeoff on the popular potato pancake, these luscious latkes bring together various flavorful vegetables sweetened by the Spiced Apple Topping—see recipe, p. 47. You can make these ahead, refrigerate and reheat later.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tbs. soy flour or potato starch, optional
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 large white potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup peeled and shredded parsnips
- 1 cup peeled and shredded carrots
- 1 cup peeled and shredded golden beets or 1 cup peeled and shredded celery root
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. minced parsley
- 1/4 cup soymilk or water
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In large bowl, combine pastry flour, soy flour, if using, and baking powder. Place shredded vegetables, onion and parsley in bowl, and toss with flour mixture to cover vegetables uniformly. Add soymilk, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon batter by heaping tablespoons into pan, taking care not to overcrowd. Flatten with metal spatula to ensure even cooking.
- Cook patties on one side until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Turn over with metal spatula and cook other side for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining mixture, and add more oil as needed. Serve hot with Spiced Apple Topping and vegan sour cream.
- Serving Size: Serves 12
- Calories: 105
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 285 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g