Practice the yogic concept of detachment and keep it fun when taking on the challenge of making homemade pies.
For Pie Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted cold butter, cut in small cubes
- 1/4-1/2 cup ice water
For Apple Filling:
- 8 Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
For Egg Wash:
- 1 egg
- Splash of milk
1. Place flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Pulse until combined.
2. Add the butter to the food processor, and pulse until the butter is the size of peas. Do not overpulse.
3. With food processor running, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice-cold water. Stop the processor when the dough starts to pull together but still appears floury. Do not overmix.
4. Divide the dough in half. Form each half into a ball, then flatten out into a disc with the palm of your hand. Wrap each disc with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5. Butter the inside of a 9-inch pie dish, and line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Flour your work area and rolling pin.
6. Roll out one portion of dough, turning it as you go, until you have a circle 11 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. For easy transfer into the pie dish, roll the dough over the rolling pin, then unroll it into the pie plate, fitting it gently. Roll out the second portion into an 11-inch circle and place onto baking sheet. Refrigerate both while you make the apple filling.
7. reheat oven to 425°F. Place apples in a bowl. Add flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Toss until the apples are well coated.
8. Pour the apple mixture into the pie dish. Scatter the butter over the apples. Lay the circle of dough over the top, and trim off any excess. Crimp the dough together with your fingers so the pie is tightly sealed. You can decorate the edges using the prongs of a fork. Cut 4 slits in the top so steam can escape.
9. In a small bowl, beat egg and milk together with a fork. Brush the top crust evenly with the egg mixture, and place the pie dish on a baking sheet to catch any overflowing juices.
10. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake for another 30 to 35 minutes. The pie will be golden brown. If the crust starts to burn, you can lay a piece of foil over the top. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool before serving.
See alsoVegan Pumpkin Pie