Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This classic Greek sweet may look tricky to make, but it’s as easy as a kid’s craft project. Crispy layers are produced by brushing melted butter between sheets of phyllo dough. Don’t worry about making each layer perfect—uneven ends and tears will be hidden in the final outcome.
To make Baklava:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread nuts on baking sheet, and toast in oven 6 minutes. Cool.
2. Pulse nuts, sugar, and cinnamon in food processor 8 to 10 times, or until finely chopped. Set aside.
3. Brush 13- x 9-inch metal baking pan with butter. Line with 2 phyllo sheets; brush phyllo with butter. Repeat 4 more times, or until you have 5 layers of 2 phyllo sheets each (10 sheets total). Sprinkle with one-third of nut mixture. Top with 2 phyllo sheets, brush with butter, and repeat phyllo layering 2 more times (6 sheets total). Sprinkle with one-third of nut mixture. Top with 2 phyllo sheets, brush with butter, and repeat phyllo layering 2 more times (6 sheets total). Sprinkle with remaining one-third of nut mixture. Top with 2 phyllo sheets, brush with butter, and repeat phyllo layering 2 more times (6 sheets total). Lay 1 phyllo sheet on top, brush with butter, then lay last phyllo sheet on top, and brush with butter. Chill 10 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut Baklava into 16 squares with knife. Cut each square into 2 triangles, or for larger dessert-size serving, leave in squares. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
To make Honey Syrup:
5. Combine sugar, honey, lemon zest, and 1 cup water in small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove lemon zest, and pour syrup over hot Baklava. Cool on wire rack.
6. To serve: recut triangles or squares with knife, and remove from pan. Store covered at room temperature.
- Serving Size Makes 32 pieces
- Calories 226
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 19 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 70 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g