You haven’t tasted ginger ale until you’ve had a glass of this brew . . . you’ll never go back to the canned stuff again! The fresh ginger adds zip without being too spicy. And besides being totally irresistible, it’s super-simple to make.
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 lb. fresh ginger, cut into 1/4-inch thick “coins”
- 1 cinnamon stick
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- sparkling water
- Bring sugar, ginger, cinnamon stick and 2 cups water to a boil in large saucepan. Simmer 5 minutes, then remove from heat, and stir in cayenne pepper. Let cool.
- Strain liquid into small pitcher, and discard ginger and cinnamon. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To serve: Ladle 1/4 cup ginger syrup into tumbler filled with ice. Top with 3/4 cup sparkling water, and stir.
- Serving Size: Makes 16 servings
- Calories: 103
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Sodium Content: 12 mg
- Sugar Content: 25 g