Use a high-quality honey to keep this tart from tasting overly sweet.
1. To make Shortbread Crust: Scrape seeds from vanilla bean, and rub into sugar with fingers. Combine vanilla sugar, flour, and salt in bowl of electric mixer. Add butter; beat on low speed until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add vanilla extract; beat on medium-low until dough comes together in large chunks. Shape into round disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll crust into 10-inch circle on lightly floured work surface. Press into 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom, trimming any excess. Set tart pan on baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes, or until golden brown and fragrant. Cool.
3. To make Filling: Bring honey, butter, sugar, and salt to a boil in saucepan, whisking to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, and cool slightly. Whisk together cream, egg, and egg yolk in bowl. Whisk warm honey mixture into egg mixture.
4. Spread almonds over crust in single layer so no crust is visible. Carefully pour Filling over almonds, making sure almonds stay in place and Filling doesn’t overflow. Bake 45 minutes, or until tart is golden brown and Filling is set but slightly jiggles when tapped. Cool.
5. To make Orange Mascarpone: Beat mascarpone, cream, sugar, and zest in bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Stir in orange juice. Serve tart with Orange Mascarpone.
- Serving Size Serves 12
- Calories 484
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 122 mg
- Fat Content 36 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 19 g
- Sodium Content 221 mg
- Sugar Content 28 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g