Soy times three, plus flaxseeds equals a very healthy waffle.
- 3 Tbs. flaxseeds
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup soy flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups plain soy yogurt or plain nonfat yogurt
- 2/3 cup plain soy milk or nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 large firm, ripe bananas
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Coat waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat.
- Place flaxseed in coffee grinder or blender; process to measure 1/2 cup flaxseed meal. In large bowl, whisk together flaxseed meal with all-purpose flour, soy flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 tsp. salt.
- In medium bowl, whisk together soy yogurt, soy milk, honey, oil and egg yolk. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, whisking just until combined.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until they make soft peaks. Gently fold into batter.
- Ladle 2/3 cup batter (or amount recommended by manufacturer’s directions for your waffle iron) into waffle iron. Close lid and cook until waffles are golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Gently open lid and remove waffle with fork. Serve immediately or transfer to baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with cooking spray each time.
- While waffles cook, peel bananas and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Transfer to medium bowl and toss with sugar and lemon juice. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer bananas to skillet and cook, flipping occasionally, until heated through but still firm, 1 to 2 minutes. Top each serving of waffles with 1/3 cup bananas.
- Serving Size: Makes 12 4-inch squares
- Calories: 185
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Cholesterol Content: 18 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 133 mg