- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking brown rice
- 16- to 20-oz. can black-eyed peas
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp. dried
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried
- 3/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Thyme sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, drain black-eyed peas, reserving liquid. Rinse peas under cold running water, drain well and set aside.
- In large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 12 minutes. Add garlic and cook until onions are golden, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tomatoes, basil, thyme and 1Ú4 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until tomatoes have softened a bit, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, black-eyed peas, pepper and salt until well combined. Simmer until flavors have blended, 5 minutes. Check occasionally and add a little reserved liquid from peas as needed to keep mixture moist. Spoon into serving bowls and garnish with thyme sprigs if desired.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 332
- Carbohydrate Content: 64 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 191 mg