Weve taken the famous black-eyed peas and rice of the deep South thats traditionally laden with smoked meat and given it a healthful, vegetarian twist.
Meal Plan: Toss an 8-ounce bag of preshredded coleslaw cabbage with low-fat vinaigrette. Stem, wash and steam a bunch of Swiss chard just until wilted. Season with a dab of butter or margarine and salt and pepper.
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, drain black-eyed peas, reserving liquid. Rinse peas under cold running water and set aside.
- In large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 12 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring often, until onions are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, basil, thyme and 1/4 cup water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tomatoes have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and black-eyed peas until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until flavors have blended, 5 minutes. If necessary, add a little reserved liquid from peas as needed to keep mixture somewhat moist. Serve hot.
- Serving Size 4 to 6 Servings
- Calories 422
- Carbohydrate Content 79 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 285 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g