For a quick lunch, serve this hearty bean spread on toasted whole-grain bagels. It also makes a luscious, low-fat dip alongside lightly steamed and cooled carrots and broccoli.
- 1/4-cup servingServings
- 3 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup tahini (olive oil or light sesame oil may be substituted)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 4 Tbs. spring or filtered water
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup minced jalapeño or other chile pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Red bell pepper slices for garnish
- In food processor or blender, process garbanzo beans, tahini and lemon juice until smooth, adding water as needed to make a creamy mixture. Transfer to medium bowl.
- Add garlic, cumin, cayenne, jalapeño and bell pepper to garbanzo bean mixture and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill 2 to 4 hours to allow flavors to blend. Garnish with red pepper slices just before serving.
- Serving Size: Makes 4 cups
- Calories: 75
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 33 mg