The delicate flavor of this soup makes it an excellent choice for the first course of an Asian-inspired meal.
- 5 dried wood ear mushrooms
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1/2 medium jicama, julienned (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 5 oz. firm silken tofu, drained and julienned
- 1 Tbs. malt vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Szechuan hot and spicy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- Soak dried mushrooms in 1/2 cup hot water for 20 minutes. Remove mushrooms from soaking water; reserve liquid. Chop mushrooms; set aside.
- In large saucepan, bring 1/4 cup water and soy sauce to a boil. Add jicama, carrots and onion. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Add mushrooms with reserved liquid, tofu, 5 cups water, vinegar, Szechuan sauce and salt. Bring to a simmer, add dissolved cornstarch and simmer, stirring, until thickened.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 64
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 563 mg