This delectable Slavic-inspired dish is a snap when made with packaged, shredded mixed cabbage.
MEAL PLAN: Accompany this entrée with a salad of romaine lettuce, tomato wedges and sliced carrots, plus some crusty whole wheat Italian bread.
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for noodles.
- Meanwhile, in large, wide skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add soy “sausage,” and cook, turning often, until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in cabbage and broth. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is wilted and just beginning to brown lightly, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- While cabbage is cooking, add noodles to boiling water. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Cut soy “sausage” into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- Drain noodles well. Transfer to large serving dish. Add cooked cabbage, soy sausage slices, parsley, poppy seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper. Toss gently but thoroughly to combine. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 4 to Servings
- Calories: 271
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Cholesterol Content: 19 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 497 mg