Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This delectable Slavic-inspired dish is a snap when made with packaged, shredded mixed cabbage.
MEAL PLAN: Accompany this entrée with a salad of romaine lettuce, tomato wedges and sliced carrots, plus some crusty whole wheat Italian bread.
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for noodles.
- Meanwhile, in large, wide skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add soy “sausage,” and cook, turning often, until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in cabbage and broth. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is wilted and just beginning to brown lightly, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- While cabbage is cooking, add noodles to boiling water. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Cut soy “sausage” into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- Drain noodles well. Transfer to large serving dish. Add cooked cabbage, soy sausage slices, parsley, poppy seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper. Toss gently but thoroughly to combine. Serve hot.
- Serving Size 4 to Servings
- Calories 271
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 19 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 497 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g