Yellow lentils or dal can be found in Indian markets, but orange or brown lentils can also be used here. To make your own Greek-style yogurt, place 2/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt in a paper-towel-lined fine-mesh strainer and set over a bowl. Let stand 12 to 15 minutes, then discard liquid and use yogurt.
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup yellow split lentils, sorted, rinsed, and drained
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup diced cucumber
- 1 Tbs. freshly chopped mint
- 4 6-inch corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh spinach
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and coat with cooking spray. Add onion, and cook 5 minutes, or until softened and starting to brown. Stir in cumin, turmeric, 1/2 tsp. salt, and pepper. Add lentils and 2 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 40 minutes, or until lentils are cooked but still hold their shape. There will be 1 to 2 Tbs. liquid left in pan.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, cucumber, mint, and remaining 1/8 tsp. salt in bowl.
- Fill tortillas with spinach, bean sprouts, and lentil mixture. Drizzle with yogurt mixture or serve on side.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 213
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 1 mg
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Sodium Content: 393 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g