Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This unusual banana bread features a delicious streusel mixture as a filling. Combining lemon juice with soymilk creates what I call “soy buttermilk,” an ingredient that can be used in a 1:1 ratio in any recipe that calls for dairy buttermilk.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make Bread: Stir soymilk and lemon juice together in a small glass measuring cup. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the pastry flour, soy flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Put prune pur8Ee in a large bowl, and, with a fork, blend with mashed bananas and cane juice. Whisk egg replacer powder and water in a small bowl until foamy. Add egg replacer and vanilla to prune-banana mixture, mixing thoroughly. Fold dry ingredients into the prune-banana mixture alternately with soymilk.
- To make Streusel: Stir together all ingredients, and set aside.
- Pour half batter into prepared pan, spread evenly with streusel and top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with coconut, pressing shreds gently into batter with a spatula. Dust with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and set on rack until cool enough to slice.
- Serving Size Serves 12
- Calories 187
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 197 mg
- Sugar Content 21 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g