Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These make great casual party foodfull of flavor and so satisfying.
- Make seasoning: In small bowl, mix seasoning ingredients. Set aside.
- Place mushrooms in food processor and pulse on/off until finely chopped.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Stir in seasoning mix, bell pepper and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- In food processor, puree half of soybeans. Add to vegetables in bowl. Add remaining soybeans to food processor and pulse on/off until almost smooth. Add beans, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and tamari to ingredients in bowl and mix well.
- Stir in 1/3 cup bread crumbs and flour. Form slightly rounded tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls. (If it doesn’t hold its shape, add equal parts of bread crumbs and flour as needed.) Roll “meatballs” in remaining bread crumbs until evenly coated.
- Fill medium skillet with 1/2-inch of vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add “meatballs,” in batches if necessary, and cook until deep golden brown, about 11/2 minutes. Turn and brown other side. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Brush insides of rolls with olive oil. Lightly toast on griddle or in broiler.
- Heat tomato sauce and spoon into roll. Fill each with 5 or 6 “meatballs” and top with additional sauce. Serve.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 398
- Carbohydrate Content 58 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 1319 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g