The term "cook-up" is a Caribbean expression that refers to a dish that incorporates the ingredients you have on-hand in the kitchen. In this version, we combine rice, beans and vegetables with a little coconut milk and curry powder for a zesty tropical flavor.
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 15-oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and Scotch bonnet pepper and cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in water, rice, beans, coconut milk and seasonings and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover and until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff rice with fork and let stand, covered, 5 to 10 minutes. Spoon rice onto plates and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 323
- Carbohydrate Content: 64 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 441 mg