These savory turnovers can also be filled with other savory foods, and the dough is surprisingly easy to make.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbs. curry powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 4 oz. vegan margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, crumbled
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice, optional
- 1/4 cup dark rum, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
1. To make Crust: Combine flour, curry powder, salt, and baking powder in food processor. Add margarine, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 3/4 cup cold water; process until dough forms. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. To make Filling: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add tempeh, curry powder, chili powder, oregano, thyme, allspice, if desired, and 1 1/2 cups water. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in rum, if desired, and cook until liquid has evaporated. Cool, then stir in green onions.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F, and coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 6-inch circles. Brush edges of circles with water, and place 1 1/2 Tbs. Filling in centers. Fold circles in half, crimping edges with fork tines to seal. Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Serving Size: Makes 12 patties
- Calories: 259
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 328 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g