- Hot pepper sauce to taste (optional)
- 1 lb. firm tofu
- 14 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium green bell peppers, diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke, or more to taste
- 2 tsp. dried or ground thyme
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain brown rice
- Drain tofu and cut into 1-inch-thick slabs. Place in plastic bag and freeze 1 to 2 days.
- Thaw tofu in microwave 2 to 3 minutes or at room temperature about 4 hours. Drain and squeeze out excess moisture with your hands. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes; set aside.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice. In large glass measuring cup, combine reserved juice with enough water to equal 2 1/2 cups. Set tomatoes and juice mixture aside.
- In large, heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add reserved tomatoes and juice mixture, bell peppers, celery, half of the parsley, bay leaves, liquid smoke, thyme, salt and cayenne. Mix well and bring to a boil. Stir in tofu cubes and rice. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Discard bay leaves; stir in remaining parsley. Season with freshly ground pepper and hot sauce if desired to taste. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 276
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 866 mg