Seitan has the ideal texture and flavor for this dish. The recipe also includes onion, garlic, celery and green bell pepper, a combination frequently used in Cajun cooking. The recipe can easily be doubled to accommodate more diners.
- Preheat oven to 400ûF. In small bowl, combine seasoning mix ingredients; set aside. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid, and coarsely chop. Set aside. Place seitan in food processor and pulse on/off 12 times or until seitan is shredded. Set aside.
- In 4-qt. Dutch oven or flame-proof casserole dish with lid, combine reserved tomato liquid and broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add rice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper, celery and seasoning mix and stir well. Add tomatoes, then seitan and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable-seitan mixture to rice. Stir just to combine ingredients. Bake, covered, until water is completely absorbed, 30 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and keep jambalaya covered for 5 minutes; stir and then serve.
Note: For an easy and elegant presentation, mold jambalya mixture in a lightly greased 8-oz. cup and turn onto dinner plate; garnish with sprigs of parsley.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 379
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 28 mg