Jicama is a round, tan-skinned root vegetable (often found in the exotic produce section of supermarkets, but it isn’t usually expensive). It has a crisp, fresh, slightly sweet taste and is a natural with cucumber.
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 4 oranges
- 1 large jicama, peeled and julienned (about 3 cups)
- 2 medium-sized cucumbers, peeled and sliced into rounds (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium-sized red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeño chiles (1 red, 1 green), finely chopped
- Whisk together lime juice, oil, sugar, salt and hot pepper sauce in large bowl.
- Trim peel and pith from oranges. Cut in half lengthwise, then slice into thin half-moons.
- Add orange slices and remaining ingredients to dressing. Toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover, and chill 1 hour or overnight. Serve on bed of lettuce, garnished with additional orange slices, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 129
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 155 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g