- 1 cup uncooked kamut
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice, well rinsed
- 3/4 cup blanched slivered almonds (optional)
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered, seeds and membranes removed
- 6 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 6 navel oranges, sectioned (2 cups)
- 5 small stalks celery, thinly sliced on diagonal
- Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- In large saucepan, combine kamut and cold water to cover by 2 inches. Cover and let stand at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain kamut. In same saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add kamut and 1/2 teaspoon salt and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until tender and grains begin to open, about 45 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain well. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add wild rice and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain well. Set aside.
- While grains are cooking, if using almonds, preheat oven to 350°F. Spread nuts in small baking pan and bake until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat broiler. Place pepper quarters on broiler pan, skin side up. Watching carefully, broil until skin is charred. Transfer to paper bag, seal and let stand until cool. Peel peppers, rinse briefly under cold running water and cut into strips.
- In large bowl, combine kamut, wild rice, toasted almonds, pepper strips, scallions, orange sections and celery. Add Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette and toss to blend. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Serving Size: 8 servings
- Calories: 266
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 422 mg