Cool grain salads are big hits at any time, and this is no exception with its abundant fresh vegetables and crumbles of salty cheese. Fruit muffins offer a flavor counterpoint, while a seasonal fruit pie is an ideal dessert.
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup uncooked kasha
- 4 Tbs. olive oil, or more if needed
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, cubed
- 3 oz. diced celery
- 2 oz. shredded carrots
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated and rinsed
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, beat egg lightly, and pour over kasha in bowl, stirring to coat grains. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium heat, and sauté egg-coated kasha for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and, when stock boils, spoon kasha into hot liquid. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan and cook for 10 minutes, or until grains are tender. Remove from heat, spread out in large baking pan and cool in refrigerator for 10 minutes, stirring grains often to cool.
- Place cheese and vegetables in large bowl. Add cooled kasha, and stir grains with vegetables. Combine remaining oil and lemon juice, beating to mix well. Dress salad, and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, arrange leaves in salad bowl or on serving platter, and spoon grains and vegetables onto leaves.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 270
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Cholesterol Content: 50 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 330 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g