Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Cool grain salads are big hits at any time, and this is no exception with its abundant fresh vegetables and crumbles of salty cheese. Fruit muffins offer a flavor counterpoint, while a seasonal fruit pie is an ideal dessert.
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, beat egg lightly, and pour over kasha in bowl, stirring to coat grains. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium heat, and sauté egg-coated kasha for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and, when stock boils, spoon kasha into hot liquid. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan and cook for 10 minutes, or until grains are tender. Remove from heat, spread out in large baking pan and cool in refrigerator for 10 minutes, stirring grains often to cool.
- Place cheese and vegetables in large bowl. Add cooled kasha, and stir grains with vegetables. Combine remaining oil and lemon juice, beating to mix well. Dress salad, and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, arrange leaves in salad bowl or on serving platter, and spoon grains and vegetables onto leaves.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 270
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 330 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g