If you like chili hot and spicy, add more garlic and chili powder to taste. This makes a perfect lunch or dinner entrée and a great party dip with fresh tomato salsa and chips. It’s delicious rolled up in a tortilla or stuffed in a taco and garnished with low-fat cheese.
- 1/2 cup cracked wheat bulgur
- 1/2 cup boiling water or vegetable stock
- 1 Tbs. olive or canola oil, or more as needed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbs. hot chili powder
- 1 large fresh green pepper, chopped
- 1 28-oz. can Italian plum tomatoes, chopped, including liquid
- 1 1/2 cups canned kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped, if desired
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Soak cracked wheat in boiling water or stock, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat. When hot, sauté onion and garlic until soft, about 15 minutes. Add chili powder, and cook about 5 minutes more. Add green pepper, and cook until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients, including cracked wheat and stock, and cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender. Adjust seasonings to taste. To serve, ladle portion into serving bowl. Store remainder in refrigerator. To reheat, place serving portion in saucepan or microwavable container.
- Serving Size: SERVES 4
- Calories: 320
- Carbohydrate Content: 59 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 730 mg
- Sugar Content: 17 g