“I love when a salad comes together in all the right ways. Oberlin’s kohlrabi caesar is deliciously dressed and has great texture. Kohlrabi, also called a German turnip, is sweet-but-peppery and crunchy until the last bite. The cured fish and caesar-style dressing is savory enough to make your taste buds explode.”
See also Savory Spring Avocado Salad and Jicama and Pomegranate Slaw
4 oz smoked trout or pickled herring, sliced into bite-size pieces
½ cup mixed fresh herbs (such as parsley and chives), divided
1 tsp lemon zest
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
¼ tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
⅓ cup plus ¼ cup and 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
4 slices ¼-inch-thick country-style bread
1 large egg yolk
1 garlic clove, finely grated
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 lbs kohlrabies (about 5), peeled, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
1. In a large bowl, toss trout, ¼ cup fresh herbs, lemon zest, red pepper, salt, black pepper, and ¼ cup olive oil. Let sit at room temperature, 20 minutes.
2. Heat oven to 350°. Drizzle both sides of bread with 1 tbsp olive oil, and season with salt to taste. Toast bread on a baking sheet until golden, flipping once, 8–10 minutes. Let cool, then crumble into small pieces.
3. In another bowl, whisk egg yolk, garlic, and 1 tsp lemon juice. Gradually drizzle in remaining ⅓ cup and 2 tbsp olive oil, whisking until dressing is thickened and emulsified, about 1 minute.
4. Add kohlrabies and remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice to trout mixture, and toss to combine. Divide dressing, kohlrabi salad, croutons, remaining ¼ cup fresh herbs, and Parmesan among four plates (or combine all in one large serving dish).
- Serving Size: 1 salad
- Calories: 585
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 46 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 703 mg