“I love when a salad comes together in all the right ways. Oberlin’s kohlrabi caesar is deliciously dressed and has great texture. Kohlrabi, also called a German turnip, is sweet-but-peppery and crunchy until the last bite. The cured fish and caesar-style dressing is savory enough to make your taste buds explode.”
See also Savory Spring Avocado Salad and Jicama and Pomegranate Slaw
1. In a large bowl, toss trout, ¼ cup fresh herbs, lemon zest, red pepper, salt, black pepper, and ¼ cup olive oil. Let sit at room temperature, 20 minutes.
2. Heat oven to 350°. Drizzle both sides of bread with 1 tbsp olive oil, and season with salt to taste. Toast bread on a baking sheet until golden, flipping once, 8–10 minutes. Let cool, then crumble into small pieces.
3. In another bowl, whisk egg yolk, garlic, and 1 tsp lemon juice. Gradually drizzle in remaining ⅓ cup and 2 tbsp olive oil, whisking until dressing is thickened and emulsified, about 1 minute.
4. Add kohlrabies and remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice to trout mixture, and toss to combine. Divide dressing, kohlrabi salad, croutons, remaining ¼ cup fresh herbs, and Parmesan among four plates (or combine all in one large serving dish).
- Serving Size 1 salad
- Calories 585
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Fat Content 46 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 703 mg