This egg dish calls for fava beans. If you use canned fava beans, these must be drained before use. Fresh or frozen fava beans, Thai basil, flatbreads and drained yogurt are available at Iranian markets. Note: The recipe analysis does not include the bread.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, butter or ghee
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 lb. fresh fava beans, 1 lb. frozen, second skin removed, or 2 cups canned
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh dill weed
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 green Thai chili, chopped, or 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup milk or soymilk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or shredded fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup drained yogurt, or labneh
- 1 pkg. toasted flatbread, such as pita, lavash, sangak or barbary
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- Heat oil in 10- or 11-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and fry for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add beans, garlic and dill. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until fava beans are soft.
- Meanwhile, break eggs into mixing bowl, add baking powder, flour, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric, chili, milk and cheese and whisk lightly.
- Pour egg mixture over fava beans in skillet. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Preheat broiler.
- Place skillet under broiler for 1 to 5 minutes, or until eggs are golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with yogurt, flatbread and Thai basil leaves.
When pairing a dish with wine, consider the food’s overall characteristics: spiciness, weight, acidity, earthiness and sweetness. For this dish, if you consider only its weight, choose to drink a medium-heavy red. If you consider its aromatics and mild heat, choose a Gewürztraminer. Or with the dairy products, choose a medium, aromatic Chardonnay.
- Serving Size: SERVES 4 TO 6
- Calories: 360
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 90 mg
- Fat Content: 30 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16 g
- Sodium Content: 873 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g