Perfect for a dinner party, these pizzettas are small enough for one.
- Makes 8 pizzettas.Servings
- 2 medium leeks
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or as needed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 pound
- or purchased whole wheat pizza dough, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Trim and discard the root ends and the tough dark-green tops of the leeks. Cut the leeks in half lengthwise, and rinse well to remove the dirt between layers. Drain and thinly slice the leeks crosswise.
2. Set a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons of the oil followed by the leeks, onions, and salt. Stir often until the onions begin to brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool. (If made up to 2 days ahead, cool, cover, and chill. Warm to room temperature to use.)
3. Preheat oven to 450-degrees. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. On a floured board, shape each portion of the dough into a round. Coat each portion lightly with flour. Roll and flatten each piece into a 1/4-inch-thick round, 4 to 5 inches wide.
4. Transfer the rounds to two oiled baking sheets, placing the rounds at least 1 inch apart. If the rounds shrink, re-stretch them until they are again 4 to 5 inches wide. Brush the surfaces lightly with remaining olive oil.
5. Distribute equal portions of the leek-onion mixture over each round of dough to within about 1/2 inch of the edge. Top each round evenly with feta cheese and walnuts. Sprinkle lightly with pepper.
6. Bake in preheated oven until the crust is golden brown and firm on bottom, 12 to 15 minutes. If using one oven, rotate baking sheets halfway through baking time. Slide pizzas off pans onto a board or plates, and serve hot.
Extra: Get chef Cat Cora's recipe for homemade and Easy Pizza Dough.
For a Cooking Party: Cora mixes the pizza dough and prepares the leeks and onions ahead of time so guests can start shaping the pizzas right away. If the dough and toppings are cold, remove them from the refrigerator about 45 minutes before the party starts.