A velvety moist crumb, fine lemony flavor and excellent keeping qualities make this tea cake a hit time and again. The fruit makes an exceptional topping.
- 2/3 cup natural cane sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen raspberries in light syrup, thawed and undrained
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 8 1/2x4 1/2-inch loaf pan, and dust with flour, shaking out excess.
- To make Lemon Cake: Put sugar and butter in mixing bowl, and, using an electric mixer, beat until fluffy. Add egg whites and egg, beating well after each addition. Beat in zest and lemon extract. Add flour, baking powder and yogurt, and beat until blended. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, to make Topping: In medium bowl, combine blueberries and raspberries, tossing well. Cut cake into 8 slices. Top each slice with 1/4 cup berry mixture and 2 Tbs. yogurt.
- Serving Size: 8 servings
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Cholesterol Content: 50 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 115 mg
- Sugar Content: 33 g